Broccolo, not to be confused with the American word broccoli is Sicilian for Cauliflower.
• 1 Very Large Cauliflower – divided into small flowers
• 6 or 7 Tbs Olive Oil*
• 1 Cup Pitted Black Olives*
• 1/3 Lb Fresh Caciocavollo cheese – diced*
• 2 Garlic Coves – chopped
• 8 Anchovy Fillets – cut in small pieces*
• ½ Cup Red or White Wine – your choice*
• Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper – to taste
• A few Mint Leaves – optional
Rinse the cauliflower flowers and drain well. Add the olive oil to a deep saucepan and add the garlic letting it cook slightly until aromatic. Add some of the cauliflower in layers with the olives, cheese and anchovies until you have four layers in the pot. Cover tightly and cook over a low flame for 10 minutes. Add the wine and continue cooking covered for an additional 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Taste for Salt and pepper and serve.
*Available at the Market