Well now that it is June, it is time to plan ahead for Father’s Day. This year Father’s Day falls on Sunday, June 15th. Consider taking the time to write a thoughtful message in your Father’s day cards. That extra little gesture means so much to the recipient.
Gift buying for Dad is not as easy as it is for Mom. But sometimes just preparing a nice Father’s Day dinner and serving it with a nice bottle of wine is all that is needed. As you sit around the table you can share old stories and memories. Maybe even tell him how sorry you are for all the trouble you caused him as a teenager (lol). Take the time to listen to his stories, too. When it comes down to it, all they really want is to spend true quality time with their loved ones.
A few years ago I shared a special recipe that we surprised Charlie with on Father’s Day and he loved it. Several people have asked me for that recipe so I thought this would be a wonderful time to share it with everyone once again.
Bistecca alla Fiorentina
- T – Bone Steak, 2 – 3 inches thick
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground black Pepper
- Lemon Wedges
(In Tuscany there is a very special kind of beef cattle called Chianina. And this is where you will have the most delicious beefsteak. You can bet that many Father’s will be enjoying Bistecca alla Fiorentina this Father’s Day and probably after a little dish of pasta.)
- Rub both sides of the steak with olive oil and sprinkle only with the pepper.
- Sear steak on very hot grill until it is rare and not more that medium-rare.
- Sprinkle with salt only after the meat has cooked so that the salt does not draw out all the juices from the meat.
- After removing the meat from the grill, let it rest under a piece of aluminum foil for a few minutes.
- Cut meat from the bone and slice. Serve with lemon wedges.
Figure a minimum of 8 oz. per person. Serve with a simple salad and grilled or baked potatoes.
Stop at the Market for a few bottles of wine, crusty Italian bread and dessert. Call ahead and Charlie will gladly suggest the perfect wine for this meal and Andrea can offer dessert suggestions. Add an E. 48th Street Market Gift Card and the Father you are celebrating will be very happy!
Wishing Fathers everywhere an extra special day this Father’s Day.