• 1 Bunch Kale – about 14 – 16 Oz.
• 6 Slices Italian Bread – country style
• 6 – 8 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil (depending on thickness of bread)
• 1 – 2 Garlic Cloves – or to taste
• Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
• Freshly Grated Cheese
Wash that kale discarding the thick stems and steam in 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes. Drain reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Toast the bread slices and rub each of them with the garlic cloves that have been peeled. Slightly dampen the bread by lightly sprinkling them with a little of the reserved pasta water. Adjust kale leaves on top of each piece of toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, a little grated cheese and serve warm.
Makes a nice appetizer served with a chilled white wine. To make it a little heartier, drain a can of Cannellini beans. Mash well and place on or under the kale and season to taste.