ITALIAN EASTER COOKIES – yield 15 – 18 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- zest of one lemon – plus extra for icing topping (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- ½ tsp vanilla – or to taste
- 1 1/2 -2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice – or as needed for taste
- 1 tablespoon milk – or as needed for texture
- Pre-heat oven to 300F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
ITALIAN EASTER COOKIE
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Make a well in the middle and add the egg, butter and the milk. With a fork combine until mixture is almost combined, move it to a flat surface and gently knead to form a smooth dough.
- Remove pieces of dough to form 5-6 inches ropes, make sure the ropes are quite thin then form to make a knot, (you should have at least 15-18 ropes) if making smaller ropes you can join them together to form circles if you prefer. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool then cover with lemon glaze or dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy.
- In a small bowl add the sifted powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk, combine to your desired thickness. (less or more milk as needed).
Some traditions call for adding colored sprinkles on top. Do this while the icing is still a little moist so that the sprinkles adhere. I prefer to just add a little freshly grated lemon zest.
You can find more cookie recipes to enjoy in my new cookbook, Basta Pasta Ancora, which is now available at the Market and at Amazon.