What could be better than the aroma of potatoes and sausage cooking and warming the kitchen while the weather outside is bone chilling cold. This recipe serves 4 – 6.
• 2 – 2 ½ Lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
• Bell Peppers – Yellow, Red and/or Orange (just not green)
• 1 ½ Large Onions
• 2 Cloves Garlic
• 2 – 2 ½ Lbs Italian Sausage – preferably thin in a coil but links work too
• ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil – plus a little extra to sprinkle on bottom of pan
• Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
• 1 ½ Cups Dry Red Wine (sometimes I use white)
• Something you will enjoy drinking while cooking
• Pinch Dry Oregano
• Preheat your oven to 450°*
• Cut the peppers into strips about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide – discard the seeds
• Peel the onions and slice them thin, separating them into rings
• Peel the garlic and slice thin or mince
• Peel the potatoes and cut them into strips about 3 inches long and about ½ inch thick
Sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil all over the bottom of the large pan you are going to use. Arrange the sausage coil in the center of the pan. Spread the potatoes all around the sausage. Arrange the onions, garlic and peppers on top of the potatoes. Drizzle olive oil over all of the vegetables. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Roast for 20 minutes and them pour the wine over all. Turn over the vegetables carefully loosening any that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Roast for another 30 – 40 minutes. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the sausage. You want to make sure the sausage is cooked through but not dry. Sprinkle a little dry oregano over all and serve. If the sausage is getting too cooked but the vegetables have a was to go, remove the sausage carefully and return to the pan during the last 5 minutes to warm again.
*Ovens differ so you may want adjust to 425° if cooking too fast.