This is a great dish to make on a chilly day. And a very versatile one at that. It works great all by itself or as a side dish. Sometimes I add some Italian sausage between the layers and it is a delicious casserole.
Preheat oven to 450°
• 1 large Yellow Onion – thinly sliced
• 2 – 3 Tbs Garlic – minced
• 12 Roma Tomatoes – seeded and cut into chunks
• Pinch of Fresh Rosemary – or to taste
• Pinch of Dried Oregano
• 4 Russet Potatoes – peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 Cup grated Mozzarella
• ½ Cup Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese – your favorite
• Olive Oil – for sautéing
• Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper – to taste
Saute the onion in a few tablespoons of the olive oil just until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook just until it is starting to get aromatic. Add the tomatoes, oregano and the rosemary. Cook until most of the moisture has evaporated – about
10 – 12 minutes.
Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes in the casserole and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Top the potatoes with half of the tomato mixture and half of the cheese. Sprinkle some of the grated cheese on top. Repeat the layers ending with the grated Parmesan or Romano cheese topped with the mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes, letting the cheese brown but not burn. Let sit for 10 – 15 minutes to let the cheese set before slicing.